Monday, January 10, 2011

Freecycled Jam

Freecycle is worth registering to if you have not done so already. The Freecycle Network is a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills.

I am relatively new to freecycle, but have already found new homes for outdoor stools, an outdoor kiddy gym that we were no longer using, and a bag of clothes that I no longer wear.

Just about anything you can think of will be given away on freecycle. It is like a big swap shop, and I am all for it.

I have picked up a bag full of childrens clothes for my son, as well as a bag of dinosaurs from another freecycler.

But yesterday I noticed an interesting message; a freecycler giving away home made plum jam!

"I have just turned 10kg of mimi plums into jam and I have way to much for personal consumption, so i was wondering if anyone would like some?"

I thought this was a really kind thing to do, so I went around to her house today and picked up three jars, and I have to say, it is beautiful!


Not all three jars are for my consumption, I am giving away two as gifts for my parents, and my mother in law. To make them look a bit pretty, I simply cut two squares of scrap fabric with pinking shears, and put an elastic band on the top:


Years before the internet, one would simply knock on the door of our neighbour to offer such things, but these days we have all become quite reserved. I think freecycle re-introduces that community generosity we once had.. so I would encourage you to give freecycle a try, you might find some treasures, and meet some lovely kind people too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi again, Thanks for you beautiful words. I love the feeling when you can put a smile on someone face but love it more when i can put something in their belly. So once again thanks to you and it was lovely meeting you.
    Beth
    www.driftwoocake.blogspot.com.au
    Ps. I had the material all ready to go on the tops but no band to hold them on so i am so glad you did it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a look to see if freecycle had made it to hicksville....nz. ive now registered with the closest cities to me. great idea

    ReplyDelete